On Carcavelos Beach you´ll find a little bit of Portugal, especially around the Estoril Coast. We will give you information on where to go, what to see, our history, our traditions, invite to visit our museums and monuments, atend our cultural and Sport events. We will give you our famous recipes from our fantastic gastronomy, and know and then we will share a little bit of our favorite things. We hope you’ll enjoy the journey. Thank you and welcome to Carcavelos Beach.

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues by Sir Elton John


Don't wish it away
Don't look at it like it's forever
Between you and me I could honestly say
That things can only get better

And while I'm away
Dust out the demons inside
And it won't be long before you and me run
To the place in our hearts where we hide

And I guess that's why they call it the blues
Time on my hands could be time spent with you
Laughing like children, living like lovers
Rolling like thunder under the covers
And I guess that's why they call it the blues

Just stare into space
Picture my face in your hands
Live for each second without hesitation
And never forget I'm your man

Wait on me girl
Cry in the night if it helps
But more than ever I simply love you
More than I love life itself

Music: Elton John and Davey Johnstone
Lyrics: Bernie Taupin
Album: Too Low For Zero

When Elton John is at his best, as on "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues," he makes as good a case as any contemporary songwriter -- including critical favorites like Elvis Costello -- for status as one of the late-20th century's classic pop music composers. A nostalgic song that finds John teaming back up with his longtime collaborator, Bernie Taupin, after a few years' break (on and off), "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" is likely to stand the test of time as a standard.

John is a master of mood; the song is a warm, nostalgic, comforting, and highly emotional bit of melancholy. Reaching the heart-wrenching climax in the song's chorus multiple times -- "Wait on me girl/Cry in the night if it helps" -- the melody alone tugs at the heartstrings. Taupin is in top form here as well, with a lyric that takes its cue from Tin Pan Alley songs of the '40s and '50s, particularly World War II-era songs of separation like "Till Then": "Just stare into space/Picture my face in your hands/Live for each second without hesitation/And never forget I'm your man." Taupin shows an enormous amount of growth from his greener early-'70s days when his ambition often exceeded his ability, resulting in often fumbling, forced verbiage. With lines like, "And while I'm away/Dust out the demons inside/And it won't be long before you and me run/To the place in our hearts where we hide," the lyricist finds compelling and fresh means of expressing a universal emotion.

As with the lyric, the music has more than a tinge of nostalgia, with a '50s-like R&B shuffle, a jazzy piano theme, and an inspired, Toots Thielemans-like harmonica solo from Stevie Wonder. The soaring solo takes the song to new heights, the ache of the sentiment palpable in every note. (Song Review by Bill Janovitz)


Related Posts with Thumbnails